Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Frequently Asked Questions


You must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Remember to include ACC on your FAFSA application. Our school code is 005463. 

You must reapply for financial aid EVERY YEAR. A new FAFSA should be completed between October 1st and March 15th each year. We now use the previous year’s income to complete the FAFSA so you do not have to wait until you file your taxes to complete the FAFSA. 

Not necessarily. Financial aid is prorated based on how many hours you are enrolled in. For example, if you are half time, you will receive half of your financial aid award. However, certain grants require a minimum number of hours to be taken. Please refer to your award letter to find out what type of grants you have been awarded and whether you have a minimum requirement of enrolled credit hours.

If you are still unsure, contact the Financial Aid office at 336-506-4340 or

Two weeks after you have submitted your completed FAFSA, you will receive a letter and an e-mail message from ACC with a check list of the documents required to be turned in. After you have turned in ALL the required documents, the Financial Aid office can process your financial aid package. 

Federal law states that a student under the age of 24 is required to use his/her parent’s information unless he/she meets one of the approved exceptions. See a list of the exceptions here.

If you do not meet one of the listed exceptions and are under the age of 24, you will be asked to complete a dependency override. To do this, you must meet with the director or assistant director of Financial Aid. Please be aware that you will have to document the reasons you are unable to provide your parent’s information. Living on your own or not speaking to your parents does not justify a dependency override. These are for extreme situations only.

Income often changes due to loss of a job, loss of a family member, or divorce. If your income has significantly changed from last year, you may need to fill out a special circumstance form. Please call the Financial Aid office for more information on special circumstances 336-506-4340 or schedule an appointment.

To stay compliant with federal regulations, the financial aid office must determine if your high school credential is valid. This does not affect the admission to Alamance Community College. Alamance Community College does except all High School diploma’s including unaccredited institutions for admissions into the college.
Please see page 20 of the student catalog and or visit
To see the full policy please click here.

You will be allowed to charge books to your financial aid 10 days before classes start. Simply take your course schedule and a photo id to the bookstore or stop by the Financial Aid Office. Books should be purchased within the first 2 weeks of the semester, including books for late start classes.  If registering for late start classes after the first 2 weeks of the semester, see financial aid before going to the bookstore.  See more information on purchasing books here.

The remaining balance checks for financial aid will be mailed to students 6 weeks after the semester has started. The date is posted in the Student Handbook. Make sure you have a correct address on file and make any changes two weeks prior to the date checks are run.

Check your Self Service account to see the amount of financial aid you have been awarded. Subtract the cost of your tuition, books and any other supplies you may have charged to your account. The balance left over AFTER these charges is the amount you can expect to receive. For more information on calculating your check, click here.

Once you have been awarded financial aid, all you have to do is register for courses. Your aid will automatically pay for the courses you have registered for.  See more information about using your aid to pay tuition here.

To continue to receive financial aid, you must maintain a minimum completion rate of 67%. Each time you drop a course, your completion rate goes down. Once you have fallen below 67%, you may no longer be able to receive aid. Please check with the Financial Aid office BEFORE you drop your course to learn how it will affect your completion rate. You may also owe tuition repayment for the course you dropped if it was paid for by financial aid. For more information on the consequences of dropping courses, please click here.

To be eligible for financial aid, you must maintain a minimum GPA of a 2.0. If your GPA falls below the minimum, you will no longer be able to receive financial aid. If you are failing a class, please notify the Financial Aid office immediately to learn what impact it will have on your financial aid. For more information about GPA requirements, please click here.

As long as you have not registered for courses, then you will not be penalized for not using your award. If you have already registered, be sure to drop those courses BEFORE the first day of class. If you do not drop the courses, your financial aid will pay for the courses and you will be responsible for paying that money back. For information on over-payments, please click here.

If you received a Pell grant, you were awarded for two semesters. If you did not attend the Fall semester, your amount will be moved to a summer account to pay for summer classes. State grants do not carry over to summer.

It depends on the type of aid that you were awarded. Pell grants carry over to the summer if you did not attend full time in the fall or spring. If you did attend full time in the fall and spring you may receive additional Pell grant as long as you are enrolled at least half time. To see the Year Round Pell policy please click here.  State grants do not carry over to summer. If you received an ACC scholarship for the fall and spring, you must reapply for the summer semester. A limited number of scholarships are available for the summer. To apply for an ACC scholarship click here.

Your financial aid can pay only for curriculum courses that are part of your degree. It does not matter if it is a daytime, evening, an online, or a hybrid course. For courses in your major, please refer to the general catalog or contact your advisor. There is also a 30 credit hour limit of the remedial classes (0 prefix) a student can take and be Pell eligible. Any courses over the 30 hours cannot be paid. Also special programs like Dental are paid on a different scale not by credit hour. Please refer to the Diploma Program Warning.

The ACC Foundation office provides scholarships each semester for qualified students.  You can access the application here, and you can see more information about ACC scholarships here.

All Associate degree programs are eligible for Title IV aid (federal and state grants). The Dental Assisting Diploma, the Computer Integrated Machining Diplomas, the CNC Machining Certificate and the Medical Coding, Billing and Insurance Certificate’s are also eligible for Title IV aid. If you plan to enroll in a program that is not Title IV eligible and still need financial assistance, please fill out the ACC Foundation scholarship application